As travel plans resume and travelers begin summer vacation plans, Las Cruces offers an ideal location with immersive experiences—all while allowing for safe travel and social distancing. An affordable destination with wide-ranging experiences, Las Cruces provides an opportunity for visitors to hit the road and experience new cultures, cuisine, and adventures.
Top social distancing activities in Las Cruces include:
- Hiking & Biking – Offering an array of trails for hiking and biking—with skill levels from beginner to advanced—Las Cruces is a hub of outdoor recreation. Options abound for those traveling with pets, those seeking stunning scenery, and those looking to observe local wildlife. For more information, visit https://www.lascrucescvb.org/explore/hiking/.
- Wine Tasting – Wine aficionados will delight in sampling local wines from the oldest wine-producing region in the nation. With incredible views and award-winning wines, the Las Cruces Wine Trail provides wine lovers an opportunity to tour their way through the area’s wineries. Tour vineyards, pick grapes, try green chile wine, and opt for a tasting on the patio of a tasting room. For more information, visit https://www.lascrucescvb.org/explore/wineries-breweries/.
- White Sands National Park - One of the nation’s newest National Parks, White Sands National Park is located 50 miles Northeast of Las Cruces on U.S. Highway 70. Take in the incredible sights of miles of sparkling white gypsum sand dunes - hike, bike, or sled down the dunes. While you’re there, keep an eye out for wildlife sightings, as the park is home to over 800 animal species. For more information, visit https://www.nps.gov/whsa/index.htm.
- Experience the craft beer and spirits scene – Featuring a wide variety of flavors—including some local ingredients—the craft beer and spirits scene in Las Cruces offers a tasty glimpse into the agricultural traditions of Southern New Mexico. Try a beer flight or sample local twists like a green chile or pecan beer. For more information, visit https://www.lascrucescvb.org/explore/wineries-breweries/.
- Patio Dining – With over 320 days of sunshine per year, Las Cruces offers a great climate for outdoor dining. Whether you’re sipping craft beer or local wine, enjoying delicious New Mexican cuisine like chile rellenos or posole, or sampling the world-class dishes from around the globe, you’ll find spacious patios and ample sunshine to make the experience delightful.
- Camping – Keeping in the spirit of outdoor exploration, camping in Las Cruces is a great way to get back to nature, while maintaining social distancing. From State Parks to KOAs and mountain camping sites, the area has many options for travelers looking to camp. For more information, visit https://www.lascrucescvb.org/places-to-stay/campgrounds/.
- Spaceport America Tours – Limited to ten participants, Spaceport America tours are open on Saturdays and allow visitors to see the world’s first commercial spaceport and the site of future commercial space tourism. All participants must wear a mask. For more information, visit https://spaceportamericatour.com.
Whatever your adventure, you’ll find it in Las Cruces—where spending time outdoors is a way of life.